What causes pricking pain in fingers and feet?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: My daughter (12yo) came home last night complaining of pin prick pain in her feet when walking on certain spots. She also says that she has this similar pain on her fingers. On her feet you can see in some areas a red spot, although some are flesh colored. The fingers have similar spots. Not sure what to do...she is not taking antibiotics or had any injuries recently.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A photo of red spot is requested;advised consultation with pediatrician

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation your daughter is going through.

Can you please upload a photo of the red spot on her feet, so I can evaluate the changes myself?

Can you also say if she has suffered of strep throat during her life?

From what you are describing, if no recent history of taking antibiotics or injuries, my thoughts go for possible infection of her feet unless little bones joints are affected (inflammation).

For the moment, I can only advise to consult with her pediatrician and to run further diagnostic tests to determine the right cause and treat it accordingly.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
She was diagnosed with strep over a year ago and her only symptom was a rash on her torso and back that did not itch or bother her. Like now she has no other aches or pains and no fever.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Juvenile arthritis attack suspected, further tests advised for following up

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Thank you for providing the requested photos.

As I was doubting since the beginning, and as I was going through the photos you provided, it seems that her joints has gone inflammed (arthritis).

It is common to have joint inflammation after getting a strep throat.

A further consultation with pediatrician or even rheumatologist is advised as she might need prescription medicines (penicillins on long term).

Furthermore, further tests are needed:
- CRP
- ERS
- complete blood count
- anti-streptolysins titer

For the moment, I can only advise to take anti-inflammatory medications (e.g. ibuprofen) to reduce the inflammation (redness).

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana