Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What causes pressure sensation on the chest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 959 Questions
Hello! I noticed for the last week or so that every time I lay down to go to sleep, I have a pressure sensation on my chest that goes across my ribs from one side to the other. Right now, I am sitting at my desk and I have the same sensation. I don't suffer from high blood pressure. My blood pressue is 120/60.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: can be musculoskeletal or acidity Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. Pressure sensation on the chest can be musculoskeletal or acidity related issue. As you feel that the sensation varies with posture, it is likely to be gastric pain or musculoskeletal. Does slight pressure over chest increase the sensation? (??tender), if yes, it is muscular or rib pain. you need mild pain drugs. If there is no such tenderness, it is likely to be gastritis related pain due to increased acidity, you may need some antacids like omeprazole. Hope I am clear. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor