• question-icon

What causes pressure sensation in the chest?

Posted on Sat, 1 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I have an abscessed tooth and am on antibiotics, but I am feeling pressure in my neck. What is causing this pressure and should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may be due to lymph gland response

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are lymph nodes distributed throughout the body such as the neck, arm , groin, popiteal fossa. These are only some of the locations

They respond to infections in the area that they drain, the lymph nodes in the neck are responsible for the mouth as well as other areas of the head and neck.
It would be expected that the nodes in the neck would respond to a mouth infection, it is part of the body's inflammatory's response

Though you may not be able to palpate a node/lump in the neck, it is possible that this is the reason for the fullness that you are experiencing.
You can feel both sides of the neck (one side at a time).

You can consider the use of anti inflammatory meds if you are not currently using them eg naproxen, ibuprofen
One of these may help

If you are still concerned then you should see your doctor for an assessment

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James