What causes pressure in urethra and bladder irritation?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i am having pressure in my urinary area..i have been to my gp and obgyn. the gp thought i had a urinary tract infection so he started me on an antibiotic but when i went to the obgyn the next day she said my urine was all negative. it is not an urgency to go bUt a pressure feeling near the opening of the urethea. it is like a achy feeling..not too painful just annoying. i had a hysterectomy 3 years ago could my bladder have fallen and put pressure on the opening. it almost feels like a irritation to the opening like when you get soap in your pee opening. could it be irritation to soap..would that persist throughout the day/? the irritation seems worse after i take a bath the night before.the irritation stays with me all day. i took a at home ketone test the color was good and ph is about 7.0..what could cause this. the obgyn did a pelvic and did not feel anything. the urethea opening seems to be a little bigger but no redness when i examine myself. can cranberry juice help this..could i have a low grade infection not caught by the urine analysis. i have been stressed lately would that cause a bladder irritation.. thanks so much!
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Postmenopausal atrophy

Detailed Answer:
Hello mam, thanks for trusting health care magic.
In my opinion this is all postmenopausal atrophy of the genital area.
This will worsen over coming years and will be a seat for infection time and again and can even result in bleeding per vaginum.
It will respond very well to premarin (estrogen cream) and you will feel definite relief soon.
But ever since it is a prescription drug you should discuss this with your gynecologist first and she might like to examine you and then prescribe this to you.
Cranberry juice will be a very good supplement and also jeep taking at least 3-4 litres of water a day to help in clearing the infection if present.
Stress and soap usually worsen the irritation but that cannot persist for this long and that too without redness.
PH changes in urine are very much related to our diet so nothing to worry but still acidic pH is always better and obviously physiological.
Wish you all the best.
Dr Manisha
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 27 minutes later
She did give me a rx for a estrogen tablet to put in my genital area. i am worried about side effects..do i need to be concerned? i do have some calcifications in my breast that has remain stable and unchanged will taking the estrogen feed those areas. is this common for someone my age? did i make it worse by having a hysterectomy..i did keep my ovaries but i guess they have stopped working.is the higher the number on ph better or worse? Can i use coconut oil as a lubricant in the genital area/?/I have been so dry. did i do more damage by not appying the cream sooner..can sex ever be comfortable again? thanks soooo much!

also will it help with those terrible hot flashes???? my gp wanted me to go on bioidentical cream..will that help with dryness..thank you again !!!!
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advisef

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir, sorry for the delay in response.
Yes estrogen at this stage with breast calcification can be dangerous but if given vaginally for a short period of time, changes (if at all caused by it) are always reversible.
I usually give it daily for a month and when symptoms subside then twice a week for 3 months and then stop it.
Hysterectomy has done nothing bad to you as even if uterus was there, this problem would still have come.
And rather hysterectomy rules out the risk of endometrial cancer caused by estrogen tabs and gels.
For dryness and difficult sexual activity also this estrogen gel will help you and don't apply anything or you might get itchy reactions down there.
Alkaline pH is not good in long run so you should use perineal wash liquids like vWash or Intiwash easily available in market or can put vibact or ecoflora tablets in vagina.
These will maintain acidic pH which is good in prevention of infections.
Yes this will help in hot flashes but better will be if you discuss starting Tibolone tablet after discussing with your gynecologist after 3 months completion of estrogen treatment.
Also get a mammogram done before starting estrogen.
Cut down on tea, coffee and chocolates and also take loads water and walnuts and soya protein products daily.
I hope this will help you lots.

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN