What causes pressure in the neck and ear with headache?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a pressure in my neck, ear and headache for 2-3 months. My ear is warm and feels like something is crawling in or out of it all the time. I've been on 2 different antibiotics and at first I had a sinus congestion which went away, but my right side symptons haven't. I have epstein barr virus, and want to rule out any cancers, or problems that can be caused by it including, Burkitt's lymphoma, Hodgkin's lymphoma, gastric cancer, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, multiple sclerosis, and lymphomatoid granulomatosis. Also want to know what else could be the problem with my right side and my ear. I also take prilosec for Gerd symptoms which is what an ENT told me to take, a few years ago. The ent at that time said he didn't see anything but prescribed prilosec in case it was causing any symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Middle ear disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query
Pressure in the ear and headache is probably due to middle ear disease. Get a impedance audiometry done and send me the report. Also get your refraction done.As you also have a neck pain you should get a x-ray cervical spine done.
There are many diseases that can be caused by EBV. An examination by a physician can help because it is usually associated with lymphadenopathy and other symptoms. The titers of EBV viral markers can also help to see any current infection or resurgence of infection or dormant stage infection.
The symptoms you have stated are not due to gerd but can be due to sinus infection. Tell me what investigations you have undergone and what medicines have u been taking so far?
Also tell me do you have any hearing difficulty in the respective ear?
Follow up with the required information.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 20 hours later
Thanks I don't have any hearing problem just fullness, and a warm sensation inside ear and sometimes a feeling something crawling out of it. This goes from my ear and down my neck all on the same side. I also get headaches not terrible but mild headaches all on the same side. I had a few months ago, a chest and sinus cold. I was given zpack for 5 days. I felt a little better but then a week later my sinuses really flared up and my chest and cough came back. I was given prednisone for 5 days along with bactrim twice a day. my sinuses cleared up after 5 days but my ear got worse and I hadn't had that sympton. From then on for over a month now my ear has felt the same along with the the stiffness in my neck and my headaches. I finished all the bactrim for two weeks. I don't have fever and my sinuses are fine, but the ear and neck feeling haven't gone away. My bloodwork checked out fine with no abnormalities other than the ebv showed a past infection, I can upload my blood work to show you also. I'm going to see an ent tomorrow to see what they say. What questions should I ask and what tests should I have done?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube blockage

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for all the information.
From all the history you have given, according to me you are probably suffering from eustachian tube blockage due to sinusitis leading to otitis media. You should get yourself examined by an ENT SPECIALIST. An impedance audiometry and a pure tone audiometry should be done. As it is already more than 3 weeks, the doctor can give you medicines for few days and observe. If there is no improvement, a tympanostomy with grommet insertion is advisable. A workout for chronic sinusitis should be done like an endoscopic examination of the nose and a CT paranasal sinuses. The further management will depend upon the reports.
take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D