• question-icon

What causes pressure in the head along with severe headache?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Occasional higher systolic pressure up to 150 and frequent severe burning head pressure and pain in my head, even when blood pressure and heart rate are perfectly normal. All tests completed are listed bellow and came as negative. I'm desperately looking for answer as I do not have a real diagnosis. Can you help please.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tension Type Headache

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.

This occasional high BP doesn't need any treatment.

The description of your headache fits into Tension Type Headache , and this needs treatment if troubling you this much.

Tension Headaches are treated with anti depressants like Tricyclic antidepressant Amitryptilline, Or SSRI like Escitalopram.

You should try to keep your stress levels low and try to be happy. You should also start meditation that will help you in getting rid from these headaches.

This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Thank you Dr Varshney. So you don't think I have any kind of possible desease that I would to check? If I understand you correctly you think that I have anxiety and anti depressant should help? If so is it possible that this state of mymind had direct ly result in my heart palpitations epizodes or is there something else that may be underlying here. I would appreciate your further opinion as I did not ger far my Neurolgist, excpet presscription of Alprazolam 0.25 mg up to 3 tabs as needed. Lokks like that I need them more than I want to use. Do you thing that any over the counter remedy can work as well or you rather stay with your stated med in last letter. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have understood me right

Detailed Answer:
Yes, sir, your symptoms are related to anxiety only, I would not use the word depression as the symptoms classically don't fit into it. But yes, this could be an early stage of depression.

No OTC drug is going to help you in this.

You should meet your neurologist and discuss with him my opinion of starting you on Escitalopram.
My clinical experiences in such cases, where a person has such headache , when treated with Escitalopram has been very good.

If you have any further query, please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Anshul Varshney