• question-icon

What causes pressure in the chest along with heart palpitations?

Posted on Sat, 22 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have been having chest pressure frequently and wake up at night with a racing heart. it only last for a while but happens often.
I have had 3 ekgs all clear.have had multiple blood test,chest xrays and physical exams. I am concerned about my heart but have had 3 diff drs tell me its anxiety and panic attacks that with ekgs,blood tests and chest xrays being clear there isnt any concern of cardiac issues.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would recommned as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to a sleep disorder (nightmares or sleep apnea) or cardiac arrhythmia.

Anxiety can not be excluded either as a possible cause of your complaints.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible causes:

- a cardiac ultrasound to examine your heart function and structure
- an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring which helps examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time compared to the resting ECG and investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid hormone dysfunction.

If all the above tests result normal, considering the fact that you wake up at night with a racing heart, I would advice performing a polysomnogram to exclude a possible sleep disorder.

If all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your complaints.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 55 minutes later
They did do numerous heart panels, ekgs and xrays also they did thyroid check which was negative....

are there any real reasons of concern?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

Considering your performed tests which have resulted normal, there is no reason to be concerned.

Nevertheless, I would recommend performing an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring (Holter), if you have not performed this test yet, in order to examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time and investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 minutes later
So there is nothing life threating to concerned about...my dr states he believes it to be anxiety just wanna make sure its nothing threating
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Yes, I agree with your doctor on the fact that anxiety seems to play an important role in yoour clinical situation.

I don't think that your symptoms are indicative of any serious medical disorder.

So relax and don't worry about it.

Anyway, the Holter monitoring would help reassure you that nothing serious is going on!

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist