What causes pressure in head, dizziness and tingling hands while standing?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Brain Tumor
Question: I've recently had a craniotomy, radiation and chemo. When I stand up from sitting 30 minutes or more, I feel great pressure in my head, dizziness, and tingling hands. Doctors have no explanation. Why does this happen?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two possible explanations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Yours, certainly, is a difficult condition to be explained.

Two possible explanations come in my mind when reading your query:

1. Iatrogenic episodic ( or by treatment induced ) Chiari malformation, a condition where cerebellar ( small brain ) tonsils by gravity, close temporarily communication of cerebrospinal fluid between spinal cord and brain, resulting in temporary increase of intracranial pressure.

2. Low intracranial pressure that inverted after changing positions.

The second possibility could be assessed by small brain ventricles found in MRI imaging study.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj