• question-icon

What causes pressure headache, lightheadedness, nausea, muscle aches and joint pain?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have a lot of head pressure around the front and side of my head. I'm also feeling light headed. I feel nausea and week in the legs and arms. Which comes and goes. I have hot flashes and joint pain that also comes and goes.

Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
An infection would be the primary hypothesis.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from that combination of symptoms the first diagnosis to be considered would be that of an infection which commonly manifests through pressure headache, light-headedness, nausea, aching of the muscle and joints etc. So a blood work is the first step in the evaluation. If there are changes indicating an infection it will be managed depending on the type. Often it's a case of viral infections which improve.

If symptoms persist and no infection is found then a systemic inflammatory condition should be sought through more specific blood tests, mainly rheumatological conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis etc.

At times metabolic and hormonal alterations may be at play as well. Judging from your age you must be undergoing menopause. It is a period of hormonal changes which in many women is associated with other symptoms including those you mention.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist