What causes pressure feeling in chest when cannula is flushed?

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I noticed that almost everytime I have an IV flushed by a nurse, I get a pressure feeling in the center of my chest. I have asked many people over the years and no one has an answer for why this may be occuring. Any ideas?????? Could it be my heart?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have read your query
I will try to help you understand it.

The cannula is blocked when some material is blocked in.
This is flushed out of it.
When this happens, there is some discomfort in the vein.
Besides, the material is flushed into the system.
And there is a small increase in pressure when the flushing occurs.
Together a heaviness is felt.

Ideally it is supposed to be changed everytime such a thing happens (blocking of cannula). But to save the discomfort to patients, this tecnique is used (flushing).

A heploc may be used to avoid this/minimize it.

Best of luck
Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari