What causes pressure and pain behind the eye, migraines and headaches?

Neurologist
Question
A couple of years ago I had a CT scan of the head because I was having a lot of headaches and they found a drusen on my left eye. I went to an eye doctor and they said just to come back in a year.I never went back because my vision is ok. Lately I have been getting migraines a lot and often pain behind my left eye or its this pulsating feel on the top front of my head. Every now and then I feel pressure behind that eye, or it feels like something is pushing my eye open. Like it will look more open than the right. Could the drusen could be causing this or do you think its something else? Also a lot of the time I wake up and feel like I have a really bad sinus headache but as soon as I stand up my head pounds and then it turns to a full migraine. Its like standing up triggers something in my head and I can't function unless I take a bunch of meds and try to sleep it off, sometimes it lasts all day.
Fri, 25 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
MRI would be better.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

Though your Headache appears to be primary headache(likely Migraine) based on your symptoms, however, standing up is not a usual trigger for headache episodes. Consequently, I'll suggest you to have a MRI scan of the brain with contrast to rule out any pathology.Its better if you get examined by a Neurologist before hand so that neurological examination can guide the diagnosis.

Hope that helps.I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with further questions.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes pressure and pain behind the eye, migraines and headaches? 34 hours later
Does it indicate anything if I usually feel it in the front of my head..like a sinus headache but then changes to a full migraine when standing? Its always first thing in the morning when I get that type of headache. I've been getting a lot of headaches lately, but those are the most intense and strange.

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT examination and brain MRI

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

This type of headache pattern is not usually seen in Migraine. Standing in the morning like that should not be a trigger for headache. Commonly, sinus headache can present like that and among the rare things, intracranial hypotension can trigger headache on standing. So, an ENT examination and a MRI of brain with contrast should be done to rule out these causes.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)

Follow-up: What causes pressure and pain behind the eye, migraines and headaches? 15 hours later
ok. I will ask my doctor about it.

One last question..What is the difference of when you feel dizzy and the room seems like its spinning or that your head feels like its moving?

I get episodes where I am standing still or sitting and it feels like my head is moving. It only lasts for a second or 2 but its really weird. I get lightheaded and dizzy, but it never feels like the room is moving just my head.

Oh also my doctor wanted me to see a rheumatologist because I meet a lot of the criteria for ehlers danlos and POTS so I dont know if that could have anything to do with it?

Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
POTS may be related.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up.

In dizziness, when there is a feeling of swirling or whirling or when rooms seem like spinning; then it is called Vertigo. Of course, if you are talking about Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome(POTS);then it may be the cause of your symptoms. You can get examined by a neurologist for the same.

Further, Rheumatologist should be consulted if Ehlers Danlos syndrome is suspected.

Hope that helps.If you have further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)