What causes presence of blood in the eye?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: what might cause blood in eye for no apparent reason?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Glaucoma/high blood pressure/trauma/infection/allergy to consider

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

The presence of blood in the eye is due to:
- trauma
- allergy
- infection
- glaucoma
- increased blood pressure

At your age, if you noted the blood in the eye from nowhere, with no recent history of trauma? exposure to dust or other allergen? then, a good physical examination by eye specialist is highly recommended to rule out more serious causes like: glaucoma and increased blood pressure.

For the moment, I advise to clean your eyes well, and apply cold compresses.

All the best.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 39 minutes later
thank you,
My guess was increased blood pressure, as I was dealing w/additional stress,
will continue to deal w/reducing that.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be,but if high blood pressure,consult with gp further as following...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

It's true increased stress is associated with tension headache and also with high blood pressure, which are both associated with bloody eyes sometimes.

Try to cope with stress, measure your bp; if high, then, consult with your physician to:
- determine at what extent it was high
- the best treatment strategy: if you need to start meds straight away or just by reducing stress

Anti-stress supplements containing passiflora and valeriana can help.

Wish fast recovery.
Dr.Albana