What causes premature ventricular contractions in a 65 year old?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2017
Mar 2017

Cardiologist
Question
I am a 65 year old female who recently has been experiencing pvcs. I have had a cardiac work-up and structurally my heart is fine. Stress test results were very good. The doctors report that they are not worried. I do have a family history of heart disease and I am on a small dose (10mg) of Rosuvastatin for cholesterol. I also take 5 mg of Lisinopril as a migraine preventive, even though my natural blood pressure is low. I have suffered from intractable migraines for years and take Imitrex as an abortive. Is this safe to do now that I’ve developed these pvcs?
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ma'am

After going through the medical details provided by you I understand your concern for your health and I would like to tell you that in my opinion you should discontinue taking Lisinopril as it alters the electrolyte level in the body and can there by be a cause of ectopic beats. Also if your Bp is staying low just discontinue it. Who has prescribed you Lisinopril as a preventive measure for migraine? ?

You can continue taking Imitrex as required for aborting migraine attacks.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap