question-icon

What causes pounding heart beat which reduces to 34 bpm after lying down?

Posted on Tue, 26 May 2015
Question: When I lay down my heart pounds hard and slows to 34 bpm.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
I recommend a routine medical check up by your cardiologist.

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern, and would like to explain that, when we lay down, more blood returns to the heart and more vigorous cardiac contractions occur.

In addition, the heart keeps slowing, as the result of baroreflex response. Your heart looks to react in the right way.

But, if it appears to be a persisting exaggerated response, then you should consult your doctor (cardiologist), for a medical check up, and possibly some additional tests (resting ECG, cardiac ultrasound, and eventually an ambulatory ECG monitoring).

Hope to have been helpful to you.

Feel free to ask me whenever you need. Greetings! Dr. Iliri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist