What causes pounding headaches during dialysis?
Thanks for the query
Dialysis headache is common and it can be because of various reasons. I need a few more details from you in order to help you
1. What is the blood pressure during the start, 1st hour, 2nd hour and end of dialysis?
2. How often does he get dialysed in a week?
3. Since how long he's diabetic? Was blood sugars checked when he gets headaches?
4. What is the usual weight gain between dialysis?
5. If possible, please ask your dialysis technician what Ultrafiltrate profiling has been kept for your father
Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply
2. He goes 3x times a week for 3.5 hours each time.
3. He has been a diabetic for 20 years. His blood sugar has never been checked at the dialysis clinic, but I will have them do that next time. When I check it at night(sometimes when he has a headache), its almost always under 200.
4. He usually gains 1.2-1.5kilos between dialysis, although he has been urinating a little more then he used too.
5. I will ask them or have him ask them the next time he sees them.
Thanks for getting back
Going through what you have said it looks like his dry weight needs adjusting, sudden surge in blood pressure at the end of dialysis indicates too much fluid removal which can cause headache.
The other solution is to remove more during the first 2 hours and lesser during the last hour, this is known as UF profiling, please speak to your doctor regarding this.
I hope I was of help, if you need any further assistance please get back to me
Can be taken after dialysis
Thanks for getting back. It is true that Metoprolol is dialysable but it is a good anti hypertensive and has additional properties of preventing mycoardial infaction , hypertrophy of the heart etc.
I usually ask my patients to take the metoprolol after dialysis.
Which drug has the nephrologist prescribed?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chronic dialysis causes
- What causes anxiety after kidney dialysis
- Does dialysis cause hallucinations
- What causes dizziness after dialysis
- What causes blurred vision after dialysis
- What causes severe headache and stomach pain during dialysis
- What causes dry heaves while on dialysis
- What causes dizziness from kidney dialysis
- What causes chest pain in dialysis
- Cause for the difficulties during and after dialysis