• question-icon

What causes postpartum depression?

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Mental Health
Question: hii doctor, i have undergone c-section in october after that feeling mentally and physically weak nd lonely and want to suicide. can you suggest me what to do?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be due to post partum depression

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. A lot of females after delivery or c-section develop mood swings, change in behaviour, depressive symptoms and even suicidal ideas. If the symptoms stated with in 6 months of c-section then most likely these are due to post partum depression.

A lot of females develop severe depression and pervasive sad mood because of that. You also have suicidal thoughts and this can't be ignored. I'd advise you to to talk with your family members and consult a Psychiatrist for evaluation.

Some SSRI drugs like Sertraline can be used in your case. This drug is safe to use even in lactating mothers and will help you to come out of depression. Try to improve your social interaction and think about your baby and future. This will help to calm you. Avoid remaining indoors and along for long.

Don't loose hope, post partum depression has good prognosis and most of females come out of depression with proper treatment.

Thanks and Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist