What causes posterior thigh pain and heavy feeling that worsens like flexing knee?

Posted on Wed, 2 Dec 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I am a 21 years old woman. I suddenly started having pain in my posterior thigh whilst I was sitting with my legs straight. It felt like a heavy painful to touch ball deep inside my thigh, that I could feel constantly (heaviness) but the pain itself would arise when walking or on putting pressure over my thigh. The pain wasn't related to Lsp/hip/knee movement (just feeling of an increased pressure in the thigh). No trauma to my leg at all, nothing I that I could have done to sprain my hamstrings. Then 2 days later it stopped suddenly and the next day I started having these very weird feeling at the same area. It feels like turbulence inside my thigh, like a turbulent blood flow. When I palpate my thigh with my hand I can't feel anything on my hand (no muscle spasming or anything ) but I still have that feeling from the inside. That feeling is worse if I flex my knee and leave it flexed and also if I stop moving. Last year I had a supercial blood clot but from trauma. Also I have been taking the pill non-stop for 7years and I did smoke for 3 years whilst taking it (i know, not the best thing). I have swelling over that area but no redness or heat or superficial veins showing.
I'm not sure what it could be but I am worried it could be vascular. I don't know if I should consult a GP as I don't want to be that paranoid person that goes for a stupid problem. Any idea/reassurance ?
Answered by Dr. Karl Logan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
seek further medical attention

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Your symptoms are a little unusual but given your past medical history it would be reasonable to seek the opinion of your GP so that your thigh can be examined.

An X-ray of the femur, an ultrasound of your thigh musculature and deep veins and possibly some blood work - general inflammatory markers and products of thrombosis - would be worth while.

I hope this answers your question.

Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Karl Logan

Orthopaedic Surgeon