What causes post nasal drip and laryngopharyngeal reflux?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, i am a 23 year old female, basically for the past month 1/2 i get a weird feeling when typically swallowing my saliva,and get a squishy feeling when i swallow my spit i went to an ENT he put a camera down my throat and did not see a thing., other symptoms iv had are post nasal drip and also lots of clear mucus/saliva thats sticky, everytime i would drink pepsi or pop clear mucus would come out... one time when i drank apple cider vinegar my throat closed up on me and thick clear mucus started pouring out..!!!! My doctor diagnosed me with LPR but im scared that its my thyroid or something bad!! Ever since i started taking antiacid meds which has been fir two weeks the mucus has decreased! Can anyone tell me what this is!! Also my ENT checked my neck and did not feel a thing!!
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely to be LPR, PND and allergy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These symptoms are most likely to be related to LPR, Post Nasal Drip and allergy. These are common symptoms.

2. The usual course of medication for LPR is up to 8 to 12 weeks.

3. The source of a PND should be investigated. It can be due to nasal allergy, sinusitis and increased by reflux. Treatment should also include medication to decrease this PND. Anti allergic, mucolytic medication, steam inhalation also nd a bland diet should help.

4. Since the examination and endoscopy are normal, there is no cause for worry. You can get a thyroid function test done along with a neck ultrasound. A thyroid problem will not present with these symptoms.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 9 hours later
Thank you,!! I sceduled an ultrasound just in case, but dothyroid problems cause access clear sticky mucus?? And since this has been going on for two months if this was a thyroid problem wouldnt it have gotten noticable big or worse??
Brief Answer:
Upload the results.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, it is better to get the neck ultrasound and the thyroid function tests done.

2. A PND with thick sticky mucus is seen in hypothyroid patients but this should correlate with the thyroid tests.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
So wouldnt an ENT have felt something while doing the physical and the camera down my nose? Also i have noticed that since i stopped eating/ drinking acidic stuff and taking the antiacid medication that the mucus has decreased..
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
A mild PND or LPR will not be seen.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. A mild PND or LPR will not be seen on examination.

2. Usually a PND is seen as excessive mucus dripping down the back of the throat. LPR causes congestion of the larynx.

3. It is good to hear that your symptoms have decreased. This means that the recovery will be good.

Regards.
The symptoms i am having are mainly commo in LPR correct?? n
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is both LPR and PND.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. It is both LPR and PND as the amount of mucus is high at times.

2. Only LPR cannot explain the large amount of mucus.

3. You will have to take treatment for both conditions.

Regards.