What causes post nasal discharge after sinus surgery?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had sinus surgery on August 11th. It was both maxillary enlargement, ethmoidectomy, and ballon enlargement on both frontals. Surgery went well, started sneezing a lot on day three and started getting yellow mucous. Got antibiotics, yellow mucous started subsiding. Doing nasal rinses and mostly clear now. Still have a lot of clear mucous-postnasal drip which keeps me with a sore raw throat. Nasal drainage has subsided quite a bit. Is it normal to have post nasal drip this long.? Is this normal for all the surgery that was done in my sinuses? It is now day 16. Still have pressure in between my eye and under my eyes, just enough to be annoying.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Presence of allergy and post surgical inflammation is the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I have gone through the history and I have understood your problem. I will try my best to help you with this.

Post nasal discharge will remain for few weeks post surgery. This due to presence of inflammation and around the sinus opening. The pressure between the eyes can also be attributed to the residual inflammation following post surgical trauma.

The nasal discharge and the pressure can be reduced by using steroid nasal spray, mucolytics such as acteylcysteine and saline douches. Also, try doing steam inhalation 2-3 times in a day for 3-5 minutes. Steam vapours can accelerate the healing process by reducing the inflammation.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
One more question...im not getting anymore colored mucous/pus except for a fewsome very small green old chunks from the nose when i rinse. Is this okay. Nothing significant. Its only in the pm rinses when i been outside alot. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Green chunks are dried crusts

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Yes, you are right. The green chunks are the dried up crusts in the nasal passages and the sinuses which gets dislodged on saline irrigation. That's perfectly normal.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar