What causes popping sounds in the joint upon knee extension?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My 6 year old daughter's knee seems to click or pop upon extension. It's is just one knee and she denies any pain associated with this. It does not appear swollen or misaligned. She loves to be active and does not have any difficulty doing so. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Normal variation.

Detailed Answer:
The popping sound in the joint is usually a harmless finding if it is not associated with any pain swelling or restriction of movement. This can happen due to vacuum formation inside the joint space.
mild local inflammation of the lubricating surfaces of the joint can also cause this but in that case it is associated with pain.
You can give her calcium and Vitamin D3 supplements and see if there is an improvement. Doing a hot fomentation can also help. As such there is nothing worrisome and does not need any active treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thank you for your answer. What exactly is hot fomentation? Should i consult pediatrician for Calcium or Vit D supplements or should i try something as simple as Pediasure?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Using a heating pad.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Hot fomentation is using a heating pad over the area. This will help in reducing any inflammation. She can use a heating pad for 5 minutes thrice a day. Taking a general health drink like Pediasure will not help. She needs the supplements in proper dosage which can be recommended by her pediatrician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.