• question-icon

What causes popping sensation, tightness and pain in the neck area after injury?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Referring to my recent shoulder/collarbone issue; I was pushing downward while putting yard debris into the city collection can and I felt a pop in the same area. This time it did hurt (sharp pain). Now there is no grinding like before and there is no looseness feeling or popping sensation around the neck area of the collar bone. However there is a slight tightness and pain in that area. It is not constant, and does hurt when I put my hand behind my head and close to the back of my neck, that makes the area of my neck/collarbone feel tight.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be mild muscle tear.

Detailed Answer:
An unexpected activity may have caused a mild tear in the muscle fibres in the area. Since there is no looseness or popping any ligament injury is not likely. This should subside with rest and hot compress and a mild pain killer.
In case the tightness and pain is persistent or a swelling appears then do get an MRI scan done for proper diagnosis.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
The following inquiry below was the initial injury submitted earlier and answered by a different doctor. I am not certain if you have seen this inquiry prior to answering my last inquiry submitted this morning. Is it possible that I popped something back in place, because the popping/feeling of instability has gone away however there is mild pain when doing the over head behind the neck positioning of my hand?
Good morning, yesterday morning, during my swim workout I 've been alternating 100 yd intervals with 10 push ups off the side of the pool (1000yd swim + 10sets of 10 pushups). Monday's and Wednesday's workouts went well, however Friday morning during the set of push ups around number 30 +-, I felt a popping sensation and now I can make that same popping sensation voluntarily. There is no pain, just from me prodding and probing the area from where the sensation comes from. There is no mobility issues. The sensation comes from when I get up from the couch or bed and when my arm dangles straight down the popping or feeling like something is rolling over the collar bone. What may I have done to myself.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be a subluxation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the previous discussion also. The sensation of popping that you can reproduce can be due to a subluxation of sternoclavicular joint after some ligament tear. MRI scan will help in proper diagnosis. Till then avoid popping out the joint and allow the capsule to heal. You need to avoid all overhead activities also.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon