What causes popping sensation on the right side?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Mon, 12 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: When I am lying on my right side to sleep, after a few minutes it will pop and continue every few minutes.
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mineral oil drops, hydrogen peroxide drops or liquid docusate sodium.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.

To soften and drain the wax out of your ear, are recommended mineral oil drops or hydrogen peroxide drops, both available over the counter.
You can use 3-4 drops, 3-4 times/day.

They are not recommended to use if you have dryness or excessive exfoliation of the ear canal skin as they may exacerbate cerumen accumulation. Plain mineral oil and liquid docusate sodium may be more effective in this case.

If you have pain while pressing on the tragus, or moving your ear lobe, or even if you have past history of damaging your tympanic membrane, I would recommend considering a visit to a local doctor before applying these drops. This because you will need an ear exam with the otoscope, so the doctor can make sure you won't have side effects from their use. In the case of the problems mentioned above (pain while pressing on the tragus, or moving your ear lobe, or even if you have past history of damaging your tympanic membrane) the are contraindicated.

If you continue to feel that discomfort after one week of using the drops, that means that maybe you have hard impaction of wax or ear canal disease and so you may need irrigation of the ear or manual removal under direct visualization with an otoscope or microscope in the office.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj