question-icon

What causes popping sensation in the ear after cleaning nose with salt water?

Posted on Sat, 9 Jul 2016
Question: Hello

I have suffered from mild ETD for 8 years now, some days are bad and some are fine; i use salt water nose cleaning-can and steam mostly and it helps.

But I just want to get answer to this question:
when I use the salt water nose cleaning can; I at the end blow the water out of the nose completely and then the ear pops; but sometimes is sounds kinda extreme; and the pop is loud.

Is this dangerous for the ear, a HARD pop or is it just good and effective ?
I just want to avoid hearing loss.
I have had this for 8 years, but my hearing test is perfect and exactly the same as of 8 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade (42 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
In my opinion , there is no need to pop ear after salt water nose cleaning

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern.

In my opinion , there is no need to pop ear after salt water nose cleaning . Hard pop can sometimes cause ear trauma & hearing loss .

If I were your treating doctor , I would advice
avoid hard popping ear . It is not required after salt water nose cleaning .
Continue Steam Inhalation twice daily & Saline nasal rinse or spray thrice daily .

You will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade (1 hour later)
Maybe you missunderstood or not;

But I didn't pop the ear like blocking your nose; then blow; I just breath little hard air out of my nose; then my ears popped automatically; didn't mean too.

is this dangerous; or doesn't this cause enough force to damage ?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Increasing pressure inside ear can cause ear trauma & hearing loss .

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
Thanks for follow up query .

If you are not breathing forcefully air out of nose which increase pressure inside ear , it is not dangerous .

Hope this information helpful to you .

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist