Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What causes popping sensation in my right knee and what is the treatment for bruising near the knee cap?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3190 Questions
I am on my second round of cortisone shots in my knees due to arthritis. I fell hard on my right knee and slightly on my left on concrete one week ago. I am 200 lbs.. I am able to walk and have no pain but do have some stiffness and slight swelling. Pain is only when you push hard on it feeling like chards of glass cutting me. Bruising however is on the right inside of my knee cap area an, underneath the outside of my right knee under my knee cap..then on the outside of my right calf and slight bruising that extends almost from my ankle to my knee dead center down the middle. The bruising has not gone away too much. The center of my knee cap on the right there seems to be a slight dent. Again no pain. I have felt a ripping sensation and my knee is numb from knee cap to half way down shin that i could feel in the beginning when you scratch or rubb that area in my toes with a tingle. I told my husband that I dont want anyone to fix it because it is the first time in a long time that I have no pain in my knees. I am 50 years old and a woman. He is pushing for me to go to the hospital I think it is a waste of time. My left knee is popping. I do not know if my knee gave out or popped but most definitely heard it crush/crack/grind. I know this sounds bad....but again, I have no pain and it is a welcome relief i treat almost daily with two tylenol and motrin 800 mg. right now I am taking 1 motrin but lower dosage to keep swelling down which there is little of....mainly where the most severe bruise is on the inside of the right knee bone.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Its advisable to Get X-Ray of Knee; Visit Hospital Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX I do agree with your Husband that you need to visit the hospital. I will explain you the reason for the same. In arthritis of the joint there is stiffness of the joint due to 1. Spasm of muscle surrounding the joint. 2. Fibrosis of the joint leading on to stiffness and restricted. When trauma is sustained, there is sudden movement of the joint and this movement may break the fibrosis. This break in fibrosis will make joint more mobile and there may be improvement in the symptoms. The swelling and bruising is likely to be bleeding into the joint( Hemarrthrosis) and the dent could possibly be due to patella fracture(Knee cap). It would require assessment by X-Ray of knee and Ultrasound of the knee to rule out blood in joint. I would suggest you to see your Physician. In the meantime Hot water fomentation and the medication you are taking will be helpful. Do get back to me if you need further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Wishing you good health. Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak XXXXXXX MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes popping sensation in my right knee and what is the treatment for bruising near the knee cap? 1 hour later
You have not addressed the numbness. Is there an explanation to this and why it would extend halfway down my leg. I understand that the xray will determine more then trying to answer something via message.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Numbness possibly due to nerve injury Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings Dear Madam, The numbness could possibly be due to nerve injury sustained at time of injury. Elucidation of severity and further assessment of cause will require thorough clinical examination and neurological examination. I hope i have cleared your doubt. Wishing you great Health Take Care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor