What causes popping and cracking sound from the joints?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What is causing popping and cracking of my joints

What can I do for RLS
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be normal.

Detailed Answer:
The popping and cracking of the joints that you have can be due to pressure changes in the joint cavities with activity. This can be a normal finding. if the popping is painless then you need not worry. Taking calcium and vitamin D3 supplements can help.
One remedy for RLS is the application of warm packs and cool packs to the muscles. Some people find that alternating heat and cold can ease the leg pain and achiness associated with RLS. You can also relax the muscles in your legs by soaking in a warm bath or whirlpool. Avoid alcoholic or caffeinated drinks, which stimulate the muscles and nerves in your legs.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 hours later
I also have a hip problem that probably will need replacement - however - I am the only caregiver to my 87 year old husband - so surgery is not in my immediate future.

The popping and creaking seem to b in the area of the side effected by the hip - I have had two injections for the hip problem - that is when the popping started - I was taking calcium but ran out - so will start up again - can you suggest a supplement for the RLS???
Thanks again for being there
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calcium and magnesium.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Taking calcium and magnesium supplement at bedtime will help in reducing the symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.