What causes popped blood vessel on face of an infant?

General Surgeon
Question
hi, blood vessel on face of my 11months old baby has popped out and hanging on by a fine layer of skin after she scratched it.it has turned completely black.It was noticed first time when she was 9months + and it grew rapidly in last fifteen days.currently she is on antibiotic ADVENT SYRUP & VIZYLAC
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Sun Burn

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly hemangioma

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

From the clinical picture provided it appears to be Hemangioma. The clinical picture is not clear because of glare. It would be helpful If you could provide clinical photograph in natural bright daylight.
Also kindly let me know if there is associated itching or discharge from the lesion.

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes popped blood vessel on face of an infant? 10 minutes later
Dear Doc,Yes it is Hemangioma.Till now only bleeding happened and 1st time bleeding was on 23rd july 2014 which took almost 15mins to stop after applying pressure.she has scratched it but it doesn't seems to be itchy.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will require treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Dear Ms XXXXXXX

Good morning

Majority of Hemangioma regress over a period of time. In majority of cases they regress by 18 months of age and no specific treatment is required.

As this is located over the face and as there are chances of repeated trauma by scratching , it will require treatment.

Being a Pediatric Surgeon, I routinely come across many such cases. I would suggest you the following
1. Color doppler scan
2. To start Propranolol in consultation with your Pediatrician

Do keep me updated

Best regards
Dr Deepak

Follow-up: What causes popped blood vessel on face of an infant? 24 minutes later
Hi Doc,

This answer is not satisfactory.

Our pediatric had referred us to a plastic surgeon who suggested us surgery because as a child my daughter might scratch it often and that would lead to infection.

But as mentioned in my first query, face of Hemangioma is hanging from the spot of origination. Face of Hemangioma has turned totally black and has shrunk slightly in size in comparison to its fully grown size which we saw it till 2-3 days back.I have already attached picture of early stage along with few pictures which shows its hanging(recent pic taken on 28th July)

My queries are as following:

1. Does current stage of Hemangioma suggests that ordeal is over?
2. Will ugly face of Hemangioma fall or should be remove?
3. Is surgery mandatory to put vessel back into skin in this case? in case, Hemangioma exists even if face falls
4. If Hemangioma exists, even after fall of face, is there a chance that there would be recovery with medicine / ointments / Vaseline and surgery won't be reqd
5. Advent Syrup & Vizylac are prescribed antibiotics which we are providing as a part of treatment for curing infection in Hemangioma, Shall Propranolol be considered post it?

Brief Answer:
Will require Propranolol

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms XXXXXXX

From the clinical photographs provided the blackish lesion appears to be pedunculated hemangioma. The blackish color is due to loss of major blood supply. It is likely to fall off spontaneously on its own. It can also be managed by ligation at the base of Hemangioma. The remaining pinkish lesion of the skin can be managed with Propranolol.

I hope I have answered all your query.

Best regards
Dr Deepak