• question-icon

What causes poor weight gain in a child?

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby boy born on 22nd XXXXXXX 2017.His birth weight was 3.8 kg.He was on breastfeeding since day 3.However he lost weight.he weighed around 3 kg on 10th july.my paediatrician advised me to start formula feeding nanpro1 after each feed.I think I do not produce enough milk.now he is 1 month old.when he will regain his birth weight.i am very much concerned regarding his weight.please guide me regarding measure ments of formula and breastfeeding.I am really worried.
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Feed on demand and monitor the weight

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking the query

I can understand your concern. I suggest you to give frequent breast feed and a nutritious diet for yourself.
During lactation there is need of extra calories, protein and fluid as baby's growth depends on mothers milk. It would be better if you take extra care about your feeds to improve the quality of milk for proper growth of baby.
Meanwhile you may give Nan Pro 1 to the baby. Baby should not be forced and the feed should be on demand. You may give the formula feed on demand(may be 20-30 ml) after each breast feed if he is accepting/feels hungry.
Give vitamin D supplementation as advised by pediatrician and monitor the Weight.By this age baby should gain about 300-400 gm in 15 days.
Don't get anxious as stress itself causes poor milk production.
No need to worry, just feed the baby properly and monitor.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
All the best.
Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology