What causes poor memory in a child?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Myy son age 12 years have very slow to grasp i.e. which he reads he forgot,which he write he forgot,when he talk also forgot after sometime what he says

Last yeasr I have already consult the Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Mehta( Md Peadiatrices) in Sir XXXXXXX XXXXXXX hospital New XXXXXXX but no result
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
check for anemia and thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Memory loss in kids at this age needs to be addressed with complete workup.
There can be medical and non medical reasons for this.
I would usually advice my patients to check for hemoglobin and thyroid levels , because they are the common reasons for poor memory and attention.
Also deworm every year with albendazole.
Apart from these, there can be other reasons like school peer activity, diversion, excessive tv or internet etc. Talk to school teachers and his close friends to understand his behaviour at school.
If you have tried all these, then a neurological consultation may be required .
Wishing him good health
Dr Arun