What causes poor comprehension, poor self care and hyperactivity?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in ADHD
Question: I have a brother, 36 years old. He was always off. As a child he saw psychologist after psychologist - no change in behavior. He was diagnosed in his teens as being ADHD, because that was the rage way back when. His symptoms are, complete awkwardness. Inability to see anyone's needs beyond his own. Literally, no comprehension that others exist for any other reason than to help him. Gross, really really gross negligence of personal hygiene - he is happy as a clam being dirty and smelly - dates back to him at 4 years old. Besides aspergers, is there something else it may be. I am looking to do research to get him appropriate help.
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He may have mental retardation

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

I think, he may have mental retardation. In asperger syndrome, patient has difficulty in interaction and sterotypic behavior, but could communicate. Usually patients of asperger syndrome with normal IQ able to maintain themselves.

If your brother has poor comprehension, poor self care, hyperactivity, odd behaviors that all would go towards mental retardation. Better to get his IQ done and consult a psychologist for that. In medication, he could get a little bit improvement with low dose of antipsychotic, but there is no medication that increase IQ.

If you have more query, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist