Owl Image

What causes pneumonia and cough with swollen parotid glands?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have swollen parotid glands as of last Saturday evening. I was having violent coughing and nose blowing prior to the swelling. I was diagnosed with pneumonia this morning, after seeing my Doctor. I started inhaler, both albuterol and Dulera and Levaquin today and congestion and symptoms of pneumonia are dramatically reduced. Swelling was reducing all day. I have been asleep about two hours and awakened to both sides being swollen again. Now, the left side feels like its about to burst. Not sure if I wait til morning to see Dr, or go to emergency room?
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please meet your doctor immediately!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Please don delay and meet your doctor as soon as possible as it is likely that you have developed an infection and possibly and abscess of the parotid gland.

You will need intravenous antibiotics and supervised medical care specially considering the fact that you are having a pneumonia also.

Please dont worry as this will resolve with antibiotics , but dont delay and meet your doctor as soon as possible.

Please take lots of fluids/water and continue your medications for the time being.

Thanks