What causes plugged ears after an injury?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 7 May 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi- my son took a baseball to the face the on Monday. he has a black eye...there was initial swelling between his eyebrows and eye but with ice ing have since gone done almost seems no swelling now he went to six flags yesterday and rode a lot of the rides probably not a smart idea. he says his ears feel plugged?...I have him resting now and doing nothing. is this something to be concerned about? thanks,\worried mom
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There is no need to get concerned!! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear about the baseball accident that your child suffered. From the information that you have provided, there are no red flags that should raise heightened fears. Blocked ears occur all the times and do not necessarily represent a pathology or any ongoing pathological process. This being a bilateral problem would most likely be transient and not something to be concerned. My plan would be to monitor this for 2days and should symptoms persist or get worse, then we should consider getting the ears and hearing evaluated for possible causes. I hope this helps. I wish you both well. Thank you so much for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if needed. Dr. Ditah, MD.