What causes plugged ears after a myringotomy?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hello,

I just had a myringotomy in both ears about three hours ago. My ent did not put tubes in. . this was a test to see if I need tubes in my ears. Ever since then, my ears feel extremely plugged/clogged up. . this was my complaint before the procedure and now it's worse. Is this normal? I'm really stressing over this. Please help
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query. I do understand the agony you are going through. I'll try to help you in this regard.

The sensation of ear discomfort and clogging of the ear following Tympanostomy is normal. This is because, the ear drum is ruptured and the sound waves are not conducted as effectively as before.

The idea behind Tympanostomy, is to relieve the fluid accumulated in the middle ear. Now that is done, but there will be perforation in the eardrum, hence, when the sound waves reach the eardrum and the drum can't vibrate as effectively as before. Thus the sense of ear block or reduction in the hearing.

Do not worry! After few days, you will get accustomed for this.

Avoid water getting into the ear. Do steam inhalation regularly, this will relieve the Eustachian tube block and thus the ear discomfort.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju