What causes pins and needles sensation in throat when on antibiotics?

Posted on Sat, 29 Mar 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Had a UTI with ecoli infection. Was given nitrofurantoin, 100mg. had an allergic reaction. Felt like I got a instant really bad cold and then could not swollow. This was on Tuesday of this week. The doctor knew I was allergic to antbioyics but said this was different. Only took 2 pills one in am one in pm. Ended up in ER not feeling well next morning. While the doctor was waiting fot test results he said to be on the safe side with the infection he gave me an antibiotic IV of Gwentamicin, 380mg within 1/2 hour same allergic reaction. Gave me Benedryl and sent me home. Still am experiencing side effects and been taking as per doctors orders Benedryl every 6 hours. Today I am very weak, dizzy, lightheaded, still have the strange feeling of pins and needles in my throat and tongue. I am very afraid what should I do?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The feeling of pins and needles is more likely due to the allergic reaction to nitrofurantoin. 2. The dizziness and light headed feeling is likely due to gentamicin, which is a known vestibulotoxic drug. 3. Avoid any antibiotics at present and request a change from Benadryl (which may also cause drowsiness) to a non-sedating anti-allergic combinations such as Allegra and Singulair. It is not possible to predict how long these symptoms would take to recover. 4. Once the allergic reaction subsides, re-evaluate the symptoms of UTI for further treatment options. True drug allergy to all antibiotics is rare, hence there will be antibiotics such as newer generation cephalosporins which you may not be allergic to. Testing, antibiotic challenge or desensitization should be left to the discretion of your physicians. I would recommend indoor admission and close observation. 5. Follow the precautions for prevention of UTI in post menopausal women. This would include hydration, esp. fluids with cranberry juice, frequently emptying the bladder, avoid constipation, wear sterlized loose fitting inner wear and so on. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Am I out of any danger with these allergic reactions? I did not take the Benedryl last night. Only once yesterday morning. If I try to deal with the side effects without taking anything hurt me?Forgot to mention my blood tests and urine tests and culture taken at the hospital showed all negative results for uti infection. Wish I knew that before they gave me the second antibiotic.
Brief Answer: As below: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. You are out of immediate danger. I recommend that you review your medication with your doctor. It may be possible to manage this without adding further medication. 2. If there are no symptoms or if there is no evidence of the UTI at present, there is no need for active treatment. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Still taking the 1 Benedryl every 6 hours. Now I have a fever, extreme chills and still the lightheadedness/dizzyness. I have been drinking much water to stay hydrated. Pulse rate is over 100 and BP is a bit high.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer: As belwo: Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for writing back. 1. There is no harm in continuing the Benadryl, however, it may be adding to your drowsiness. I suggest that you shift to a no sedating anti-allergic medication. 2. The dizziness and light headedness may also be due to the allergic reactions and the high Gentamicin. 3. It will be better if you get admitted for indoor care and supervision. Your pulse will be high since you have fever. The chills may suggest the persistence of the UTI or a continuing allergic reaction. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist