What causes pins and needles in left arm and legs?

Question
Hi i recently had what i thought was a heart attack
It was 10:30 pm i was relaxed and about to go to bed
i felt pins and needls going up my left arm and legs from the fingers upwards and even on my neck i got cold sweats on the way to the ED i felt like my heart was going to explode out of my chest When i got to ED. And they measured my heart rate at 240 bpm they took me in and gave me a tablet under my tounge which. Slowly lowerd my hart rate
they took bloods and xray my heart and all came back normal my blood presure was still high 160 bpm they gave me blood presure tablets and asprin and discharged me the next day
I went to see my gp and done tests for. Calcium ,phos,thyroid,inflamatories iron ,protien and also have done a heart stress and liver and kidney test and all tests have come back normal
I dont feel 100 percent in myself i feel like im lacking energy
Any info would be much appreciated
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to know your medicines

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have read your query. Your main concern at present is that you do not feel energy.

I need to know more details about the symptoms like when it started, do you feel breathless on exertion, what brings it on, medicines you are taking, etc.

If you are able to provide more details about it, I will be better able to help.

Waiting for your response.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What causes pins and needles in left arm and legs? 16 hours later
I am a male 37 I don't smoke I drink only in company with friends maybe once a fort night.and will only have a couple of beers I have never been on medication prior to this incident since my BP has returned to 120/80 I don't take any medication anymore ( GPs instructions )
But I still feel flat and laking energy I am normally quite active but am worried this will happen again any help would be great
Thank you for your help

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get an echo of your heart done

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.

You have not mentioned if an echo was done. Was there any abnormal heart sounds heard on auscultation by the doctor? Echo helps rule out any structural heart conditions.

You will consistently need to monitor your blood pressure as it may be fluctuating. Get the basic blood tests done including thyroid profile, complete blood counts, serum electrolytes. Can you upload the reports of the blood tests that were done already?

You will need to go on low salt, low sugar and high fruit diet. You will also need to take hygienic food and clean drinking water. Do some mild exercises and do not overexert.

I do not know the reason why it happened the first time. It is hard to predict if it will happen again. But you need to relax as worrying can raise the BP.

Dr Vaishalee