What causes pins and needle type sensations in face and legs?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: This last few weeks for me has been stressful and full of symptoms. Now I'm getting scared. After getting married, my husband and I moved from NY to Califoria.
Then we left for our honeymoon for three weeks to New Zealand. When we got back I started having numbness and tingling in my arms and hands as well as weakness. I also had diarrhea for about 8-9 days until it stopped. I went to a Dr who suspected Carpal Tunnel syndrome. She gave me exercises to do and blamed stess and anxiety. She also had me start acupuncture. She said "ill see you in 3 months."
My symptoms are now worse: I'm having pin prickly sensations all over. Like one will prick my face, then my leg then my toe, even my private area, etc. It's painful and uncomfortable. Today I also experienced 2 new things. Pain in my left calf. It's not red or warm where I would think it's a blood clot, but it could be. Who knows? I'm also having pain in my upper back area between the shoulders. It's a sharp pain that come and goes. I also feel my ears keep getting clogged and its hard for me to sleep at night, although I'm exhausted and start dozing off, its hard to fall asleep. And even if I sleep in late, I never feel rested. I can barely get out of bed in the morning. I get dizzy at times and I have been having swallowing issues, which they think is GERD. It feels like a ball is stuck in my throat. I'm taking Prilosec now for it. What do you think it could be? A disc issue? An auto-immune disease like MS? Im sure my stress and anxiety don't help the situation, but can you blame me for having them?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get investigated & take treatment as advised after neurologist consultation

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
The earlier symptoms in hands and arm may be due to carpal tunnel syndrome but present symptoms involving whole body is not specific to any disc disease.
Possibility of stress, anxiety aggravated by decreased sleep may be the cause behind these symptoms.
Sometimes, vitamin deficiency like vit B12, Vit D leads to such features.
In view of carpal tunnel syndrome you need to get evaluated for thyroid profile, Blood sugar, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D and renal profile.
Nerve conduction testing should be done for diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Vitamin supplementation with anxiolytics like amitriptyline or nortryptyline may be taken.
Pain modulators like pregabalin and gabapentin may also be added for carpal tunnel syndrome.
Continue physiotherapy.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further queries.
regards
Dr N Kumar
neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 8 hours later
Do you think i need an MRI of my brain do you think it could be MS?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No sign of multiple sclerosis, no Mri required

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome back to HCM,

Multiple sclerosis present with objective neurological deficits as visual loss, sensory loss, weakness or diplopia.

Only symptoms with no objective signs is unlikely to be MS.

No need for MRI brain at present.

Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee