What causes pink discharge from urinary tract?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have a pinkish discharge that I feel sure is coming from the urinary tract rather than the vagina. I had a complete pelvic and a sonar of the uturus - just six weeks ago.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I understand the query.

You seem to have a pink discharge coming from the urinary tract. This is unusual as urinary tract infections generally tend to produce excess frequency of urinations and burning as well as blood in urine. A granuloma [ small non cancerous tumor of the urethra] may give rise to pink discharge. Other common causes are infections, stones and certain diseases of the immune system affecting the kidney. Most of them tend to give rise to cloudy urine or blood in urine. Urethral caruncles [ similar to granulomas] may also produce a similar discharge.

About the sonography, if this is an infection then a sonar done 2 months ago is not relevant and fresh investigations are needed.

As of now, you are correct in visiting a gynec and getting evaluated. A urine examination particulary a microscopic examination for presence of blood will help clear matters. A catheter specimen will be preferred [ discuss this with your doctor] as this avoids vaginal contamination of the specimen. A gynec examination will help to rule out its origin as sometimes vaginal secretions may be confused with urethral ones.

So please do not worry as these are common and treatable conditions.

See your doctor and you will be alright.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist