What causes pineal gland enlargement?

Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: My son has a swollen Pineal Gland as seen on his MRI, he has been referred to a neurosurgeon. Can you tell me if this is serious?
Answered by Dr. Arun 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
needs biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Pineal gland enlargement will need neurosurgical intervention atleast to get a biopsy.
It can be a beningn or malignant growth.
Biopsy will give the result.
Surgery is essential to obtain a sample of tumor tissue so the pathologist can confirm a precise histological diagnosis. Precise diagnosis is required to plan appropriate therapy. Benign pineal tumors can be removed surgically. Malignant pineal tumors are treated differently depending on the type of malignant tumor (cancer) found. Pineocytomas are treated with surgery alone as no benefit from radiation therapy has been shown. The most common malignant tumor in this area is the germinoma. This is very sensitive to both radiation and chemotherapy and is curable in most cases.
Wishing good recovery

Dr Arun
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju