What causes pin prick wound with a small amount of blood on it?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 in Accident and Emergency
Question: This evening I noticed my left arm (upside-near elbow crease) that the aforementioned area was beginning to "swell" "painful" "as if a needle was being jammed into the area. I looked at my entire arm and realized that I must have been scratched, bitten as there is a blood line ; long scratch area and a microscopic "pin prick" type of wound with dried blood" quite frankly I do not know what to make of this! Earlier in the day in was itching; now it is swollen. am I ar risk for blood poisioning. I have had multiple abdominal surgeries,,2posterioer /anterior spinal fusions etc,etc. as,too,I have an Aortic (thoracic) anyeruism decending, and a bicuspid issue I am 66yrs. old, married to Dr. of Dental Surgery. He is at our cabin I am home alone. what would you suggesr?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bug bite or scratch likely.

Detailed Answer:
Since there is a pin prick wound with a small amount of blood on it, the swelling is likely to be due to a bite or from scratching.

It seems to be a superficial scratch from your description. This is not likely to cause a blood infection, but you need to wash the area thoroughly with soap and warm water. You can use a mild pain killer (like Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen) if the pain gets difficult to bear. Cold compresses on the area should help bring down the swelling as well.

In case the swelling and/or pain are persistent, or you develop a fever, then do consult your primary physician for a physical examination and blood work.

I hope this answers your query.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.

For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj