What causes pin prick pain in right breast around the nipple?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I have a pin prick pain in my right breast around the nipple. It is sharp and fairly constant.I just had a mammogram and check up and nothing was indicated.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs work up, multiple etiologies

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking!
If the mammogram has cleared any odds for trouble like malignancy i am sure something innocuous is left as a cause like age related hormonal changes, fats imbalances,and even a common cold can present with such tingling.It is due to congestion and edema in the breast.Wear support like bra and it will help the sensations.Increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables that are high in antioxidants and avoid excessive intake of red meat.Consume Vitamin E and calcium supplements.Limit the intake of salt, coffee, alcohol and high fat diets. If there is any color change or discharge from the nipples then simple infection like mastitis can explain it. A simple examination of the breast and ultrasound of it for any collection would rule that out.
Simple nutritional neuropathies and Vitamin b12 deficiency may cause that too and are most likely at your age.
Pramipexole AKA mirapex which you take may also cause these tingling and paresthesias and parkinson's itself can be a reason for such tinglings.
This pin and prick sensation might be an epigastric pain secondary to chronic aspirin use leading to drug induced gastritis as that sensations and pain are also presented in this.
To me it looks like nutritional neuropathies and age related and associate morbidity related neuropathy.
Get a neurologist and let them sort it out for you.
I hope it helps .Take good care and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan