question-icon

What causes pimples on the face of a baby?

Posted on Tue, 10 May 2016
Question: Hi,

My baby is 23days old and he has got few pimples on his face. What could be the reason and treatment of this?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (9 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Normal in newborns. Not a cause for concern.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking again on HealthcareMagic.

You can upload an image of the few pimples but I can assure you that these are normal for a newborn baby and are not a cause of concern. These can either be:
* Erythema toxicum - which are harmless red rashes on the skin. They disappear in a few months of birth and are not a cause of concern.
* Milia - caused due to deposition of dead skin cells under the skin and are not a cause of concern.

In any case they are likely to be normal and you need not worry about them. No treatment is required. If apprehensive, you can apply calamine lotion topically for a soothing effect.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician