What causes pimple sores around the stoma?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Lump
Question: What causes pimple like sores around the stoma; they also bleed and are sore.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please give more details.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it? What type of stoma do you have (ileostomy or colostomy)? How much stool a day do you have (in ml)? Is your stoma protruding or collapsed under the skin? What was the reason for the stoma creation?

I`m looking forward to hearing from you.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
This is a colostomy and it is protruding. Little red pimple around the stoma where it meets healthy skin. Dont have picture, sorry
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stitch can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Well, it is very hard to give precise answer not being able to see it. From common reasons I can tell that it might be a stitch coming out of the soft tissues, infection or (if the stoma was due to a cancer) cancer recurrence.
For sure, surgeon should see it and decide whether it is necessary to take a sample of it or not. If it is a stitch, should be removed.

Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
The stoma was created due to rectal-colon cancer. My husband has had it for 24 years. He has recently been diagnosed with neuro-endrocrine cancer. We have and appt. hopefully tmro as his right breast is very swollen and the nipple is very sore. I think you are right that the cancer is returning. Thank you. If you have any additional comments please let me know. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT should be done.

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. Definitely CT should be done.