What causes pimple on the roof of mouth?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have a pimple on the roof of my mouth and i was wondering what it is. I did have unprotected oral and intercourse about 5 days prior. I'm not sure if it is related or not. The two pictures provided are 3 days apart and shows the progression, the bump first started off as a small bump and grew into a pimple like mass.
Also when I run my tongue across my palate I can feel more tiny bumps which are not visible due to the flash of the camera. Please aware me of anything else that does not look usual.
To be more specific I didn't notice anything on the roof of my mouth until the day after I had the unprotected oral/intercourse, but I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or not. I have already asked the other person to get an STD test and I am going tomorrow to see if I have any STD's aswell.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be syphilitic ulcer & go for STD test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

I went through your history & would like to ask you do you have any such ulceration on genitals also??? Secondly do you have skin rashes in all your limbs???
If you have these two symptoms then it could be syphilitic ulcer & has transferred to you through your partner.
You need to go for STD tests & if positive then treated accordindly.
Various other reasons could be:-
- due to thermal injury due to excessive hot intake
- due to gastric problem
- due to hormonal changes
- due to some trauma
- due to some infection like chicken pox

Consult your dentist & go for investigations like blood tests to rule out STD& then get it treated accordingly.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 15 hours later
No, I do not have uclerations on my genitals or skin rashes on my limbs. That was the first time I have had sexual contact with another partner in 2 years, I was in a long term relationship before. I did intake large amounts of alchohol and did smoke last weekend, things I don't normally do so maybe that could have triggered something. She is getting tested as well, but she is pretty sure she is std free since from what she told me she isn't promiscuous. Isn't it true that STD symptoms don't show up until 2+ weeks after contamination?
I am getting my renewed insurance card so I will be visiting the clinic sometime on monday or tuesday of next week. This morning it seems pretty cleared up, so if symptoms persist I will go see an oral surgeon that has provided healthcare to me before.
The picture i just uploaded is what it looks like as of this morning.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms appear between 10-90 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As i mentioned first symptom of syphilis transmission is painless ulceration around genital organs.Later on it such ulceration appear in oral cavity.But since you don't have any such symptoms & no rashes then it might not be STD.Moreover it takes 10-90 days after exposure to appear.
Although chances are very rare, still let her go for tests.
You needn't worry. Rule out the other causes as i mentioned earlier.
All will be fine.

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 45 minutes later
The bump on the roof of my mouth was painless, could it actually be syphilis because I did preform oral sex on her? I don't have anything on my genitals though.
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very rare chances if no symptoms on genitals

Detailed Answer:
As i already told you very rare chances of syphilis because first stage involves the of genitals. But I prefer you go for investigations to rule it out.

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad