question-icon

What causes pimple on shaft of penis?

Posted on Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Question: For about 6 months I've had a pimple like thing on the shaft of my penis. I'll squeeze it like a pimple and a very white foul smelling liquid comes out. Every few days it will fill back up. It's about 1/4 of an inch in length and it never hurts. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
it is probably a sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I am Dr Aslam here to help you.

As you describe, it seems like you are having a sebaceous cyst on your penis, which caused by blockage and damage to duct of the sebaceous glands.This causes accumulation of sebum,a whitish, somewhat greasy material.

Temporary relief is obtained by drainage alone, as you are doing frequently. But for permanent cure,we have to remove the entire gland along with the duct.This is a minor surgical procedure done under local anesthesia in an out patient set up.
You can seek the help of a general surgeon or a urologist.

It is better to avoid frequent squeezing till then, as this can cause infection, and recurring infection may make surgery more difficult.

Hope this answer will be helpful.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammed Aslam