Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What causes pimple like lesions on pubic area?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
Hello, so i have had this what looks like a pimple for a few months now, it came around randomly and at the time 2 or ao pimple were in the same area (in the pubic area) however they have disappeared and it is the one that is left. It did not hurt or anything but i recently put hot water on it and i now can sort of feel it and it looks a bit more inflamed or red than normal i think. Is this genital warts or molluscum contagiosum or just a pimple?
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is probably a molluscum

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.

I have seen the pics, attached. It looks like an inflammed molluscum.
Right now, just apply a topical antibiotic like mupirocin or fusidic acid twice in a day till the redness subsides. Take a painkiller to help reduce the pain.

Sometimes, as the inflammation subsides the lesion may resolve. If it doesn't, get the lesion extracted or removed by cautery.

Hope this helped
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pimple like lesions on pubic area? 27 minutes later
Hello, thanks for your reply. Can i use elocon (mometasone on it? Its topical steriod or would it be best to use either of the 2 you mentioned? )
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
do not apply a steroid cream.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Do not use a topical steroid cream over inflammed lesion. An antibiotic cream is required as the lesion is inflammed and probably infected. I prefer mupirocin or fusidic acid cream,however any antibiotic like neosporin or soframycin or betadine can be used too.
Hope this helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What causes pimple like lesions on pubic area? 3 hours later
Hello, thank you for your reply. I have wpplied fusidic acid and it kind of hurts/makes me feel like i want to itch is that normal? And howong would you reckon i have to apply the cream until it becomes inflamed no more
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for delayed response.
Usually slight and transient burning sensation can occur with any cream when applied over inflammed lesion. However if the burning sensation is persistent or is leading to increased redness over lesion then it should be discontinued.As it means that its causing an irritant reaction over site of application.
As plain fusidic acid is causing burning sensation, mix it with the steroid cream(topcort) in a very amall quantity and apply twice daily. If still the stinging persists then discontinue and use any other antibiotic cream.
Hope this helped.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor