What causes pimple like lesions on pubic area?

Dr. Kalpana Pathak

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, so i have had this what looks like a pimple for a few months now, it came around randomly and at the time 2 or ao pimple were in the same area (in the pubic area) however they have disappeared and it is the one that is left. It did not hurt or anything but i recently put hot water on it and i now can sort of feel it and it looks a bit more inflamed or red than normal i think. Is this genital warts or molluscum contagiosum or just a pimple?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is probably a molluscum

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the pics, attached. It looks like an inflammed molluscum.
Right now, just apply a topical antibiotic like mupirocin or fusidic acid twice in a day till the redness subsides. Take a painkiller to help reduce the pain.

Sometimes, as the inflammation subsides the lesion may resolve. If it doesn't, get the lesion extracted or removed by cautery.

Hope this helped
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 27 minutes later
Hello, thanks for your reply. Can i use elocon (mometasone on it? Its topical steriod or would it be best to use either of the 2 you mentioned? )
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
do not apply a steroid cream.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Do not use a topical steroid cream over inflammed lesion. An antibiotic cream is required as the lesion is inflammed and probably infected. I prefer mupirocin or fusidic acid cream,however any antibiotic like neosporin or soframycin or betadine can be used too.
Hope this helped.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
Hello, thank you for your reply. I have wpplied fusidic acid and it kind of hurts/makes me feel like i want to itch is that normal? And howong would you reckon i have to apply the cream until it becomes inflamed no more
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 44 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for delayed response.
Usually slight and transient burning sensation can occur with any cream when applied over inflammed lesion. However if the burning sensation is persistent or is leading to increased redness over lesion then it should be discontinued.As it means that its causing an irritant reaction over site of application.
As plain fusidic acid is causing burning sensation, mix it with the steroid cream(topcort) in a very amall quantity and apply twice daily. If still the stinging persists then discontinue and use any other antibiotic cream.
Hope this helped.