What causes pimple like boils and inflamed area on buttocks?

Dr. Ilyas Patel

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, so i have had this which what looks like a pimple of some sort for a few months now, i am not sure if its Molluscum contagiosum, boils, a hair follicile or what exactly. I do get pimples of that sort from time to time on the buttocks mainly but i have before gotten 2 or so around the groin area. I have been told it is Molluscum contagiousum but i am not sure if it is that or boils. Recently i put hot water on it and it became what looks like more red and inflamed and slightly hurts. I have put fucidin acid cream on it but it kind of stung when i put it on i do not know if that is normal or not.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dermatofibroma

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

I read history and studied photo you posted. I feel that most probably you may be having dermatofibroma.

I does not seem to be molluscum contagiosum, your doubt is right.

Dermatofibroma is a benign small hard skin tumor caused in response to reaction to trauma such as insect bite. Mostly it occurs on lower extremity. The skin surface may be smooth. The color may vary from pink red to brown. It is usually asymptomatic, but may be itchy or tender. Pinching the lesion might cause dimple on the surface..dimple sign.

Skin biopy might confirm the diagnosis. For that you consult dermatologist personally.

As it is benign and harmless, treatment is not required. It may be kept untreated.

If there is cosmetic disability, you may go for treatment. Elliptical excision or punch biopsy gives best result. Laser therapy is also used to treat dermatofibroma.

I hope you may be satisfied with my answer... If there is any query still, you may ask.

Thanks.

Have healthy life.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T