Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes pimple like boils and inflamed area on buttocks?

Answered by
Dr. Ilyas Patel


Practicing since :1982

Answered : 3393 Questions

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, so i have had this which what looks like a pimple of some sort for a few months now, i am not sure if its Molluscum contagiosum, boils, a hair follicile or what exactly. I do get pimples of that sort from time to time on the buttocks mainly but i have before gotten 2 or so around the groin area. I have been told it is Molluscum contagiousum but i am not sure if it is that or boils. Recently i put hot water on it and it became what looks like more red and inflamed and slightly hurts. I have put fucidin acid cream on it but it kind of stung when i put it on i do not know if that is normal or not.
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM..

I read history and studied photo you posted. I feel that most probably you may be having dermatofibroma.

I does not seem to be molluscum contagiosum, your doubt is right.

Dermatofibroma is a benign small hard skin tumor caused in response to reaction to trauma such as insect bite. Mostly it occurs on lower extremity. The skin surface may be smooth. The color may vary from pink red to brown. It is usually asymptomatic, but may be itchy or tender. Pinching the lesion might cause dimple on the surface..dimple sign.

Skin biopy might confirm the diagnosis. For that you consult dermatologist personally.

As it is benign and harmless, treatment is not required. It may be kept untreated.

If there is cosmetic disability, you may go for treatment. Elliptical excision or punch biopsy gives best result. Laser therapy is also used to treat dermatofibroma.

I hope you may be satisfied with my answer... If there is any query still, you may ask.


Have healthy life.

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Skin tumor

doctor1 MD

I have an opinion sore on my ankle... has not healed in 3 months have cleaned with cotton Q tip with hydrogen peroxcide, applied Mupirocin ointment(last 3 weeks) and covered with a large band aid. Change daily. Some pain(deep) to the touch, open...

doctor1 MD

Skull Indentations - I have two. On the left side. One is old and just got a new one behind the old one.

doctor1 MD

I have a rash on the outside of my wrist. It's somewhat dark in color and looks kind of like two reddish spots. It's been there for months.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have a lump on my outter labia majora, feels like a small pebble around 1cm in size. Had my go review it and she thinks its a hair follicle... However, she didn't feel it much during the exam and she didn't feel that it is connected by a `stalk` underneath the lump.. I'm really worried and thinking about getting a second opinion. What could it be to have a stalk?! Help!!

doctor1 MD

I have something like a colorless mole/lump on my left cheek. It has been there for years - maybe 10 years. There is no discharge or redness/spots and is not at all painful. It's just there and ugly. There is no texture to it either, and no hairs growing out of it. I am 46 years old, female and Type 1 diabetic. Is there anything I can do to get rid of it? Washing, acne meds, alcohol, peroxide - none of that does anything.

doctor1 MD

Hello my name is frank I'm 23 years old. I have a red/purple lump on my stomach. Sticks out almost as big as a marble. It's like discolored with red and purple. Doesn't hurt at all. I can't really think of any side effects what's so ever. Maybe that when I sit down and drive for too long I have pain in my testicles but I'm have no idea if its due to the lump. I've had this lump for so long I'm just scared to see a doctor I'm afraid of what they might say. Like cancer or anything serious. Like I said its red and purple about the size of a marble. Any IDE what this could be? Doesn't hurt at all if I touch it or push it. It's been about 3 year I think I've had it. Thank you very much!