What causes pilonidal sinus?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 2 Nov 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have thick skin expanding near my butt crack; not itch or pain, i have tried different medication from doctors from here but it does not seem to improve the condition in any way, i have tried the following:

terbinafine tablet 250mg ,Ebernet cream, steroid clovate cream,ointment clotrimazole

It started very small but has been expanding over the years. please advice
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looksike pylonidal sinus

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
It looks to me like pylonidal sings and these are canals under the skin which are usually slowly spreading and may be inflamed and then would cause pain and pus secretion. At this point,it looks like this is uncomplicated pylonidal sinus but is there is growth and pain I suggest permanent surgical procedure. There is no effective ointment for it unfortunately. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 18 minutes later
Hi, There is no pain or puss but it has been growing for few years.. u mean there is no fix than surgery ?? does it just keep spreading??

and is below my butt cheek and not above on my below my back..

I keep getting a different answer every time i ask for advice..
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
As I can see,this is induration under the skin which is caused by pylonidal canals and in this case ,creams won't help. but it would be good to see proctologist who will determine if this is dermatological problem or this what I say.