What causes pigmentation on forehead and around eyes?

Dr. Johny Chacko

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Doctor I have pigmentation on my forehead and around my eyes.. long back I was prescribed the use of Glyaha HQ Lotion mixed with a small portion of Elacon... But over a period of time my skin does not respond to these creams...therefore is there a better alternative please
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Causes of pigmentation

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to healthcare magic.

I understand from your query that you have been having pigmentation on your face.

There are several causes of pigmentation which could occur on the forehead and around the eyes.

Some of the common causes include melasma, lichen planus pigmentosus and acanthosis nigricans.

While the first 2 types of pigmentation have no underlying cause, acanthosis nigricans usually occurs in diabetics and is like a skin marker for diabetes.
At your age, I would probably consider this also in the causes of pigmentation.
Have you tested your sugars recently? If so, were they normal? Do you have a family history of diabetes?

Each entity needs to be treated in a slightly different way. So it is important to make the correct diagnosis before starting any lightening agents. Elocon is a mid- potent steroid and when used for more than 1-2 months causes lightening of akin as a side effect. This may be the reason why the pigmentation recurs on stopping the creams.

You have a feature to upload the images by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your query better. You can also send the image as attachment to YYYY@YYYY , with the subject as 'Attn: Dr. Johny Chacko'

Please revert with clear pictures so that I can suggest appropriate treatment measures.

Dr. Johny Chacko