What causes pigmentation and swelling in feet?

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Thank you. These symptoms showed on Thursday night. My feet were slightly swollen, but had blue-blackish places. I thought it was shoe polish streaked and smudged on my feet. On Friday, I went on a weekend trip and the condition was worse. I am now home with my feet propped up, but there are still spots, streaks and blue-black places. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible heart disease or kidney disease.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxx,

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Swelling in the leg can happen after prolonged standing like in travelling. This happens because the pressure in the blood vessels is more than the blood pressure in the tissues. This will cause the legs to become swollen.

If the swelling is only in the legs, then it is more likely that you have heart disease. If the swelling is in the face as well, then kidney disease is possible. In kidney disease, there is a reduction in the electrolyte levels which leads to edema or swelling in the body tissues.

Swelling in the legs can cause striations which explains the black streaks on the legs. You need to see a doctor to get the following done:
Get an ECG done
Check your Blood pressure taken to know if your heart is fine
Check the serum creatinine level to know if the kidneys are functioning correctly.

Once these tests come back, you can use the rsults to decide the next step.

I hope this has answered your query. Please post a follow up if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina