What causes phlegm in throat, cough and painful throat?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Had viral fever a month back. From then I have continuos phelgm in my throat . I need to clear it by coughing up for a good clear voice. I smoke and drink alcohol everyday. I have gastritis and undergone sinsus surgery 6 months back. I am allergic too. I went to my ENT and he has prescribed me PAN-D, allegra 120 and alerflo nasal spray. Still my throat hurts in the morning and I need to clear the cough to get a clear voice. Is it throat cancer. My age is 32 and have been smoking/drinking for nearly 10 years now
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To add mucolytics

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the inflammatory condition not the throat cancer.

I personally suggests you that
1. In above prescription you may add mucolytics drug such as acetylecysteine 150 mg four times a day.
2. Avoid spicy food.
3. Avoid smoking/ drinking.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 21 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I was on antibiotic cepadem AZ and mucinac 600 (acetylecystine) for 3 days a week back. Also, I am presently having augmentin 625 (started yesterday).

Can you suggest me a particular brand for acetylecysteine 150 mg in india(chennai) and how many days to continue for. Its been already a month of this condition , how long will it take to cure.

Are my allergy one of the reason for mucus formation and throat clearing during day times to have a clear voice. Also Phelgm in the morning is very hard and thread like.

Is there a permanent solution for my allergies. Please suggest

Present prescription:
PAN D
Allegra 120
Alerflow nasal spray
Augmentin 625 (4 tab left)
mucolite cough syrup

Thanks XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are on best treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query and your prescription; it suggests that you are on best treatment. Just have faith in your doctor and go for the same treatment.

You do not need any additions for now.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 25 hours later
Hello Doctor,

There is a relief after taking the medication. My only query is why while talking i have to keep clear my throat. There is a mucus / phelgm or i do not know some kind of liquid formation. I need to clear it to have a clear voice. No pain in the throat. Low voice is vibrating a bit . Is there a major problem with my vocal cords. What do i need to do.

-XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, major problem with your vocal cords

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query and medication tried; it suggests that you may not be suffering from the any major problem with your vocal cords.

I personally advised
1. Steam inhalation two times at least for five minutes duration each.
2. Avoid habit of clearing of your throat.
3. Avoid whispering if you have.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari