What causes phlegm in throat, cough and painful throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
Had viral fever a month back. From then I have continuos phelgm in my throat . I need to clear it by coughing up for a good clear voice. I smoke and drink alcohol everyday. I have gastritis and undergone sinsus surgery 6 months back. I am allergic too. I went to my ENT and he has prescribed me PAN-D, allegra 120 and alerflo nasal spray. Still my throat hurts in the morning and I need to clear the cough to get a clear voice. Is it throat cancer. My age is 32 and have been smoking/drinking for nearly 10 years now
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To add mucolytics

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the inflammatory condition not the throat cancer.

I personally suggests you that
1. In above prescription you may add mucolytics drug such as acetylecysteine 150 mg four times a day.
2. Avoid spicy food.
3. Avoid smoking/ drinking.

Thanks

Follow-up: What causes phlegm in throat, cough and painful throat? 21 minutes later
Dear Sir,

I was on antibiotic cepadem AZ and mucinac 600 (acetylecystine) for 3 days a week back. Also, I am presently having augmentin 625 (started yesterday).

Can you suggest me a particular brand for acetylecysteine 150 mg in india(chennai) and how many days to continue for. Its been already a month of this condition , how long will it take to cure.

Are my allergy one of the reason for mucus formation and throat clearing during day times to have a clear voice. Also Phelgm in the morning is very hard and thread like.

Is there a permanent solution for my allergies. Please suggest

Present prescription:
PAN D
Allegra 120
Alerflow nasal spray
Augmentin 625 (4 tab left)
mucolite cough syrup

Thanks XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are on best treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query and your prescription; it suggests that you are on best treatment. Just have faith in your doctor and go for the same treatment.

You do not need any additions for now.

Thanks

Follow-up: What causes phlegm in throat, cough and painful throat? 25 hours later
Hello Doctor,

There is a relief after taking the medication. My only query is why while talking i have to keep clear my throat. There is a mucus / phelgm or i do not know some kind of liquid formation. I need to clear it to have a clear voice. No pain in the throat. Low voice is vibrating a bit . Is there a major problem with my vocal cords. What do i need to do.

-XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, major problem with your vocal cords

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up query and medication tried; it suggests that you may not be suffering from the any major problem with your vocal cords.

I personally advised
1. Steam inhalation two times at least for five minutes duration each.
2. Avoid habit of clearing of your throat.
3. Avoid whispering if you have.

Thanks