What causes persisting pain in feet?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: rHi

I am XXXXXX 27 yrs old.

I have had a slight persisting pain in feet. I dny know wht we call it - its the area behind the center of my feet lower side, a little agead of the heel (I am referring to lower feet that touches the ground).

History that might be helpful

1 I am flat footed

2 I go for a run twice or thrice a week. almost an hour. running and walking with even breaks.

3. I am excessivly overwt. 112 kgs. 6.1 ft. tall

4. eI never had any uric acid problems have got it checked multiple times over last 3 years.

and today the pain has started to prick a little. its nothing intolerable but yes its smthg that is capturing my attention.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It seems to be plantar fasciitis..

Detailed Answer:

From your symptoms, it seems that you are suffering from plantar fasciitis. It happens due to inflammation of the plantar fascia.

There are many things you can try to help your foot get better:

Give your feet a rest. Cut back on activities that make your feet hurt. Try not to walk or run on hard surfaces.

Use shoes with good arch support and a cushioned sole.

Do toe stretches, calf stretches and towel stretches several times a day, especially when you first get up in the morning.

To help the pain, ice the area immediately after getting up in the morning. You can use either a store-bought cold pack or a frozen wet towel. Ice for 10 or 15 minutes. To reduce inflammation, take an aspirin or ibuprofen at mealtime.

A 4-inch wide Crepe bandage wrapped around the region also helps reduce discomfort.
Consider using soft silicone heel cushions for preventing any further damage to fascia.
If the pain is not responding to these modalities even after 6 weeks, a local steroid injection at the site might be helpful in relieving the pain.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement